Middlesbrough win Ramsdens Challenge Trophy

Middlesbrough won their second piece of silverware, before the season has even started, as they thrashed Falkirk 7-3 in the Ramsdens Challenge Trophy.

The tie was arranged as an extra cup final between the Scottish side – who won The Ramsdens Cup – and Middlesbrough, who are sponsored by Ramsdens.

Boro fielded trialist goalkeeper Jayson Leutwiler, who could do little about the goals he conceded.

Falkirk’s striker, Lyle Taylor, was the standout performer for the Scots as he scored a hattrick, but other than him, there was very little attacking threat.

Middlesbrough’s ball movement and running was enough to drag the Falkirk defenders all over the pitch, creating space and opportunities for midfielders and strikers.

Taylor scored whilst Boro were down to 10 men as McManus went off to receive treatment for a head injury, but Boro were only behind for 10 minutes.

Luke Williams scored Boro’s first two goals, one was a great team goal to level the scores, and the second was a fantastic individual effort as he mazed through  the defence and blasted a shot past the goalkeeper.

Grant Leadbitter scored his first goal for Middlesbrough after his free transfer from Ipswich with a header at the far post, but Taylor responded quickly as Nicky Bailey made a mistake and played him into the Boro goal.

Shortly after the restart, Williams gave away a penalty which Taylor neatly placed into the corner of the goal, tying the scores at 3-3, but then Boro would go up the gears.

Newly acquired Argentinian Emmanuel Ledesma scored his first goal in a Boro shirt, and Nicky Bailey found himself one on one with the ‘keeper to make it 5-3.

Boro’s sixth and seventh goals were provided by Australian, Scott McDonald, rounding off a very meticulous and thorough display for Tony Mowbray’s boys.

This was the second piece of silverware Middlesbrough had secured so far, as the development side beat Northern League champions, Spennymoor, on penalties to claim the Eric Powell Charity Cup.

Wilson Kneeshaw gave Middlesbrough the lead at half time, but Daniel Moore scored the equaliser from a corner.

After a tense finish, the game went straight to penalties, which Boro won 4-2, Fowler, Gibson, Brobbel and Edwards all taking their chances.


Tags: , , ,

About Matthew Norman

A Search Manager working in the SEO department with three years of digital marketing experience in Middlesbrough, UK and now in Sydney.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: